Nature: sweet, warm
Actions: Strengthens Yang; transforms phlegm; descends Qi; benefits Qi; promotes lactation.
• Yang deficiency with phlegm: cough and wheezing, emphysema.
• Insufficient lactation.
• Doctrine of signatures: its ability to direct Qi downward is indicated by its consistent downward growth.
• Crush or powder before use.
• Excessive or prolonged use can stagnate stomach Qi.
• Bensky/Gamble: In most cases this herb is fossilized Balanophylla species (coral).
• Contraindicated in cases of wheezing with blood.
• Cook 30 minutes longer than other herbs.