Nature: acrid, bitter, neutral
Enters: Large Intestine, Small Intestine, Spleen
Actions: Moistens the large intestine to promote bowel movement; promotes urination to treat edema.
• Dryness or Qi stagnation in the intestines: constipation.
• Edema with abdominal distention or leg qi with difficult urination and constipation.
• Stronger than Huo ma ren at moistening the intestines and promoting bowel movement.
• For stubborn insomnia after a frightening event, this herb is taken as a folk remedy: Decoct it in yellow wine for 10 minutes, then add the drained seeds to an appropriate prescription based on the diagnosis.
• Some patients may get slight cramps in the intestines from this herb.
• Crush before use.
MLT: Contains 60-75% oils which give it its lubricating properties.
Hsu: Emollient laxative, stronger purgative than cannabis; diuretic.