Nature: bitter, neutral
Enters: Liver, Stomach
Actions: Promotes blood circulation, invigorates the channels; dispels blood stasis; reduces swelling; promotes lactation; unblocks menstruation; slightly promotes urination.
• Blood stasis: dysmenorrhea, amenorrhea; galactostasis after childbirth, mastitis.
• Swellings: benign prostatic hypertrophy/prostatitis, testes, breasts.
• Topical: herpes zoster (shingles) – use a paste of the toasted, powdered seeds mixed with sesame oil. Apply locally once or twice a day and leave on for (at least) 30 minutes. Avoid open sores.
• Used as ear seeds, particularly for the treatment of gall stones.
• Stimulates the uterus.
• Pound before decocting or fry until it pops like popcorn.