Nature: acrid, sweet, warm
Enters: Stomach, Spleen
Actions: Promotes digestion and eliminates food retention; harmonizes the stomach.
• Any type of food retention, including minerals, metals, bones: fullness, distention in the epigastrium and abdomen, poor appetite, borborygmus, diarrhea. Also appropriate for overindulgence in alcohol and starches.
• Especially effective for stomach cold with food stagnation.
• Can be dry-fried to enhance its effect on food stagnation.
• Added to pills that contain minerals to aid in their digestion and absorption.
• Bensky/Gamble: The ingredients vary – usually a fermented combination of wheat flour, bran, Qing hao, Xing ren, Cang er zi, Chi xiao dou. Liu: Wheat, Xing ren, Chi xiao dou, Qing hao, plus varying local herbs.
MLT: Rich in digestive enzymes.
• Also good for stomach flu.