Nature: bitter, cold
Enters: Liver, Heart
Actions: Promotes blood circulation, dispels blood stasis; cools the blood; stops bleeding.
• Blood stasis: pain in the flanks, chest, joints in Bi syndrome, trauma.
• Blood stasis: amenorrhea, lochioschesis, early stages of carbuncles.
• Heat in the blood: any form of bleeding, including hematemesis, hemafecia, hematuria, hemoptysis, uterine bleeding, etc.
• Stimulant effect on uteri of post-partum women.
Yoga: Manjistha: bitter, sweet/cooling/pungent; P, K-; V+
• Alterative, hemostatic, emmenagogue, astringent, diuretic, lithotriptic, antitumor effect.
• Best blood purifier in Ayurveda. Detoxifies the blood, removes obstruction (including in the kidneys and liver).
• Amenorrhea, dysmenorrhea, menorrhagia, menopause, bleeding, kidney, bladder, or gall stones, jaundice, hepatitis, diarrhea, dysentery, trauma, cancer, heart disease, obstinate skin problems, dropsy, rickets, paralysis, herpes.
• For all inflammatory conditions.
• Helps knit broken bones.
• Topical: as a paste for skin discoloration, inflammation, burns, damaged tissue
• Major anti-Pitta herb.
Hsu: Antibacterial, antitussive.