Nature: bitter, warm
Enters: Kidney, Liver
Actions: Warms the kidneys; disperses damp and cold, alleviates pain; increases lactation.
• Kidney Yang deficiency with cold accumulation or stagnation Qi: abdominal or flank distention and pain or hernial disorders.
• Cold-damp leg qi: soreness, numbness, weakness, edema.
• Prevents and treats mountain sickness (in studies, was effective in about 1/3 of the subjects).
• May be useful in some forms of insomnia.
• Lowers blood sugar.
K&R: Hypoglycemiant, adrenal cortex stimulant, digestive tonic, lymphatic detergent, improves digestive absorption, eliminates intestinal mucus.
• Earth deficiency, metal deficiency.
• Earth: digestive aid, hypoglycemiant, good for emaciation.
• Metal: neuromuscular stimulant, good for emaciation (including diabetic), malnutrition, anemia, frigidity, impotence.
• Water: impotence, frigidity, lumbar pain, dysmenorrhea.
• Opera singers used for centuries to clear excess phlegm from the throat.
• Claimed equal to quinine in preventing fever.
• Topical: for cellulitis.
• Chronic prostatitis, impotence.
BII: May lower blood lipids (LDL, VLDL and trigylcerides): atherosclerosis.
• Diabetes: may improve glucose tolerance.
Yoga: Methi: bitter, pungent, sweet/heating/pungent; V, K-; P+
• Stimulant, tonic, expectorant, rejuvenative, aphrodisiac, diuretic.
• Hypo-function of the liver, seminal debility, dysentery, dyspepsia, chronic cough, allergies, bronchitis, flu, convalescence, dropsy, toothache, neurasthenia, sciatica, arthritis.
• Take gruel to improve lactation milk flow and hair growth.
• Use paste for boils, ulcers, non-healing sores.
• Caution in pregnancy.
PCBDP: Trigonelline significantly inhibits liver carcinoma in mice, is used in China for cervical cancer.