I learned single herbs from Guohui Liu, who didn’t emphasize this as a unique category. Most of the herbs that clear summer-heat have other significant functions and may be assigned to these categories instead. Summer-heat attack, depending on where one lives, may be quite rare. Following is a list of herbs that clear summer heat which can be found in other categories in this book and also full descriptions of a few herbs that clear summer-heat as (perhaps) their most significant action.
• Bai bian dou (Qi Tonic)
• Che qian zi – treats diarrhea due to summer-heat (Herb that Drains Dampness)
• Dong gua pi – treats edema due to summer-heat (Herb that Drains Dampness)
• Hua shi (Herb that Drains Dampness)
• Huo xiang (Aromatic Herb that Transforms Dampness)
• Ju hua (Acrid, Cool Herb that Releases the Exterior)
• Lian fang (Herb that Stops Bleeding)
• Pei lan (Aromatic Herb that Transforms Dampness)
• Qing hao (Herb that Clears Deficiency Heat)
• Ren shen ye – see Ren shen section (Qi Tonic)
• Tai zi shen – treats unrelenting summer-heat in children (Qi Tonic)
• Xiang ru (Acrid, Warm Herb that Releases the Exterior)
Herbs That Clear Summer-Heat as Their Prevailing Action:
|He Ye – Lotus leafNelumbo nucifera||Particularly suited for treating diarrhea due to summer-heat. Also frequently used to promote weight loss.|
|(Da) Dou Juan – Soybean sprout||• Sweet, acrid.
• Clears heat; drains dampness; clears summer-heat.
• Early stages of summer-heat or warm-febrile diseases, especially those with joint pain, sensation of heaviness, minimal swelling, and a greasy tongue coating due to the presence of dampness.
• Bensky/Gamble classifies with herbs that clear summer-heat.
MLT: Sprouted form is used for rheumatic conditions, edema, swelling of the whole body and knees.
|Lu Dou – Mung BeanPhaseolus||Particularly suited for treating thirst due to summer-heat. Also used to detoxify toxic herbs and for overdose of toxic herbs.|
|Xi Gua – Watermelon fruit||Particularly suited for treating thirst and scanty urine due to summer-heat. The white part (“watermelon frost” is coldest).|