Nature: acrid, warm
Actions: Releases the exterior and alleviates pain by dispersing cold; eliminates wind and damp; guides to the bladder channel and organ; reaches both ends of the Du Mai.
• Wind-cold: headache, especially severe parietal headache radiating to the cheek and teeth, occipital headache, or migraine.
• Any wind pattern that presents as pain at the vertex or pain that travels from the vertex down to the cheeks and teeth.
• Wind-cold-damp: Bi syndrome, joint pain.
• Wind-cold: acute lower back pain (the herb reaches both ends of the Du Mai).
• Warm, dry, ascending, dispersing nature.
• Not for headaches due to blood deficiency.
Hsu: Antispasmodic, emmenagogue, antiphlogistic, antifungal.
HF: A San Du, scattering toxin medicinal, typically found in Gu Zheng (Gu parasites) formulas.
Li Dong Yuan: Upbears Yang Qi.