Nature: sour, sweet, slightly warm
Enters: Liver, Kidney
Actions: Tonifies and stabilizes the kidneys, controls Jing and urine; assists Yang, improves vision.
• Kidney Yang deficiency: seminal emission, frequent urination, urinary incontinence, enuresis.
• Kidney and liver deficiency: blurry vision, impotence, soreness of the lower back.
• Estrogen-like effects: may be useful in hormonal imbalance (e.g. acne) – as in Hong Jin’s acne formula.
• Astringes without trapping pathological factors.
• The name “overturned basin” may refer to this herb’s efficacy at treating urinary incontinence. After this herb cures the incontinence, the basin (bedpan or toilet) can be turned over because it is empty or is no longer needed.
Weng Weiliang et. al.: Male infertility – Carrot 500g (boiled as diet, and the left water was used to decoct the drugs); tu si zi 60g; nu zhen zi, gou qi, fu pen zi, wu wei zi, bu gu zhi, jiu cai zi, che qian zi, shan zhu yu, 15g each; sang shen, 30g, zhi gan cao 5g. Modify the formula according to accompanied symptoms. 1 dose every day, 30 days as a course of treatment, 20 days~5 months totally.489 cases were treated, and 331 were cured.