Several herbs in this category can be used for either hot or cold patterns when combined appropriately. Even when there is phlegm-heat, the warm and neutral herbs in the previous category (Herbs that Resolve Phlegm-Cold) are often used in combination with heat-clearing herbs.
Also consider, as appropriate:
• herbs that promote Qi and/or blood circulation
• herbs that drain dampness
• herbs that clear heat (including damp-heat and heat-toxins)
• herbs that release the exterior
• herbs that stop coughing and wheezing
• herbs that tonify Qi and/or Yang when deficiency is present