Nature: bitter, slightly toxic, cold
Enters: Liver, Spleen
Actions: Strongly kills parasites and fungi (particularly roundworms, hookworms, pinworms, vaginal trichomonas, scalp fungus, scabies).
• Scabies: mix with vinegar and apply topically.
• Pinworms: use as enema and anal wash with Bai bu, Wu mei.
• Roundworms, hookworms: combine with Bing lang.
• Use as a wash for fungal infections. Alcohol extractions of the herb are much more effective against dermatomycoses than are water extractions.
• Contraindicated with hepatic disease. Caution with weak constitution, with a history of gastric or peptic ulcers, or in any patient in whom vomiting would be disastrous (e.g. when there are esophageal varices).
• The bark of the stem of this plant (Ku lian mu pi) has similar effects, but is weaker.
Dose: 1-15 grams (up to 60g alone)