Nature: bitter, acrid, cold
Enters: Liver, Gallbladder
Actions: Clears liver fire; brightens the eyes; disperses stagnant phlegm and fire, dissipates nodules.
• Liver fire: red, swollen, painful eyes, lots of tears, dizziness, photophobia, headache.
• Liver deficiency: eye pain that increases in the evening, especially when the eyes are neither red nor swollen.
• Stagnant phlegm-fire: neck nodules, lipomas, swollen glands, scrofula, goiter. Also for similar nodules in the inguinal groove or other parts of the body.
• Mildly reduces hypertension (probably through vasodilation), especially when accompanied by liver fire or Yang rising.
• Broad antimicrobial (tuberculosis, shigella, salmonella, E. coli, pseudomonas, strep, many other fungi and bacteria).
Li: Softens hardness: thick blood, lumps (including hyperthyroidism), hardened skin in eczema.
MLT: Also for conjunctivitis; some cancers.
PCBDP: Astringent, vulnerary.
Dose: 9-15g (up to 30g taken alone)