Nature: bitter, sweet, cold
Enters: Heart, Lung, Kidney
Actions: Nourishes Yin; tonifies Qi; clears heat/fire; generates body fluids.
• Lung Yin deficiency fire: difficulty breathing, cough with sputum and blood, loss of voice, wheezing.
• Injury of Lung and stomach Yin and Qi: fatigue, thirst.
• Yin deficiency: dry mouth and tongue, chronic unabating fever.
• Aftermath of febrile disease: weakness, irritability, thirst.
• Good for tuberculosis.
• Good for patients with heat and Qi/yin deficiency.
• Much weaker than Ren shen at nourishing Qi.
• Not to be combined with Li lu.
• Do not cook this herb in an iron pot. Often cooked separately from other herbs in a double boiler.
HF: An An Shen (spirit calming) herb, important in Gu Zheng (Gu parasite) formulas (because of emotional disturbance common in patients with Gu).