Nature: sweet, salty, slightly acrid, neutral
Enters: Liver, Heart, Spleen
Actions: Promotes blood circulation; dispels blood stasis from the channels; relieves pain; reduces swelling; stops bleeding.
• Blood stasis: amenorrhea, abdominal pain after childbirth, pain and swelling of traumatic injury – falls, fractures, contusions, sprains.
• Excessive post-partum bleeding with dizziness, vertigo, and shortness of breath.
• Similar to Hong hua but not often used – usually for fractures and sprains.
• Antibiotic: particularly against staph, salmonella.
• Contraindicated in pregnancy.
Hsu: Analgesic; inhibitory effect on the CNS; tranquilizer – a small dose can induce sleep; shortens blood coagulation time.