Nature: sweet, neutral
Enters: Liver, Lung, Stomach
Actions: Expels wind; invigorates the channels; expels phlegm; expels summer-heat; promotes urination; benefits the breasts.
• Damp-heat obstruction of the channels and muscles: chest and flank soreness, pain and soreness in the muscles and sinews, stiffness in the joints. Also for traumatic injury.
• Lung heat: cough with high fever, chest pain, and sputum that is difficult to expectorate.
• Summer-heat: fever, scanty urine.
• Swollen, painful breasts; insufficient lactation; breast abscess.
• Antitussive and expectorant (though not as strong as the vine if the same plant).
• Doctrine of signatures: its affinity for the muscles and sinews is reflected in its sinewy, fibrous makeup.
Dose: 6-12g (up to 30g when used alone)