Nature: sweet, salty, neutral
Enters: Liver, Kidney
Actions: Mildly tonifies kidney Yang; controls Jing and urine.
• Kidney Yang deficiency (leading to failure of the kidneys to control the orifices): enuresis, spermatorrhea, frequent urination, urinary incontinence, copious leukorrhea (not for damp-heat), nocturnal emissions (especially when not accompanied by dreams).
• This is the herb of choice for bed wetting in children.
Hong-Yen Hsu (Oriental Materia Medica): Suppresses urination and sweating.
Weng Weiliang, et. al.:
• Children’s enuresis: Sang piao xiao, duan mu li, 12g each; jiu cai zi 6g; ku fan 3g were decocted to 50ml juice. Take the juice before sleep. 50 cases of children’s enuresis were treated, 45 were cured and 5 ineffective.
• Spermatorrhea: Sang piao xiao 10g; tu si zi, gou qi, bu gu zhi, 12g each; sheng long gu, sheng mu li, 25g each; with impotence, add dang gui, bai shao and zhi gan cao, 12g each; wu gong, 2 pieces.
• Shingles: Sang piao xiao was baked with a slow fire to charred ones, and grounded into fine powder, which was mixed with sesame oil into paste and applied to affected areas of shingles, 3~5 days every day. 30 cases were treated and all were cured.
Subhuti Dharmananda: “Sang Piao Xiao San – Example of a Mind-Body Formula”