Nature: sweet, cold
Enters: Lung, Large Intestine
Actions: Clears heat and disperses Lung Qi; clears large intestine heat; promotes bowel movement; encourages the expression of rashes (topical use).
• Lung heat: hoarse voice, sore throat, tonsilitis.
• Lung phlegm-heat: cough.
• Heat and dry feces in the colon: constipation with concurrent headache, red eyes, and feverish body.
• Good for the combination of hoarse voice with constipation.
• Use alone in hot water for hoarseness/sore throat and watch its metamorphosis.
• Topical: as an external wash for incomplete expression of rashes.
Hsu: Strongly inhibits influenza viruses; laxative (when eaten) by absorption of a large amount of water into colon; hypotensive; diuretic; analgesic.