Nature: sour, warm
Enters: Liver, Stomach, Spleen
Actions: Relaxes the muscles and tendons; unblocks the channels; resolves dampness; harmonizes the stomach, adjusts the stomach and spleen; reduces food stagnation.
• Spasm of calves due to diarrhea and vomiting (earth is weakened, [metal becomes weakened and cannot control wood] wood wind attacks earth’s muscles of the limbs), also abdominal pain, and edema due to leg qi.
• Wind-damp: Bi with spasm of tendons, painful obstruction of the extremities, especially with severe, cramping pain, and weakness in the lower back and lower extremities.
• Cannot treat exterior syndromes (does not expel wind or cold) – only resolves dampness, has a more interior effect.
• Very effective at relaxing the sinews.
• Especially suitable for treating pain in the lower body.
• Bensky/Gamble: excessive use can harm the teeth and bones.
Hsu: Antispasmodic, antibacterial, diuretic.