Nature: sweet, toxic, neutral
Enters: Lung, Stomach
Topical Actions: Relieves toxicity, expels wind, alleviates pain.
• As an ointment or wash for rashes, itching, scabies, ringworm, sores, carbuncles, swollen glands.
• As a gargle: use warm for a severe toothache that feels “as if a worm is burrowing in the tooth.”
Internal Actions: Expels wind, dries dampness.
• Wind-damp Bi.
• Wind rashes.
• Recent use in the treatment of a variety of tumors.
• Shortens blood coagulation time.
• Mastitis: In one study, 3g of dry-fried Lu feng fang was given with wine every 4 hours for 3 days. 23 of 26 cases were cured (in an average of 2 days) and 1 was improved. No side effects or toxic effects were noted. This form of therapy is not effective for suppurative mastitis.
• Toxic: large doses cause nephritis.
Internal Dose: 6-12g (1.5-3g directly as powder)