ichaNature: sour, astringent, neutral
Enters: Kidney, Bladder, Large Intestine
Actions: Stabilizes the kidneys, controls Jing and urine; astringes the large intestine, stops diarrhea.
• Kidney deficiency: spermatorrhea, frequent urination, urinary incontinence, copious leukorrhea.
• Kidney and spleen deficiency: chronic diarrhea or dysentery, prolapsed rectum or uterus, excessive uterine bleeding.
• May lower cholesterol, may reduce atherosclerosis.
• Rich in vitamin C.
Michael & Leslie Tierra: Acute postpartum uterine hemorrhage (take some of the stem and leaf along with the fruit).
Botanical Influences on Illness: Beneficial for kidney stones.
Hong-Yen Hsu (Oriental Materia Medica): Antibacterial, antiviral, (extract) quite effective for treating uterine prolapse.
Dui Yao (Sionneau): Stops abnormal vaginal discharge.
• With Qian shi to effectively supplement the kidneys, secure the essence, reduce urination, fortify the spleen, and stop diarrhea and abnormal vaginal discharge. This combination, Shui Lu Er Xian Dan, is used for indications such as:
– 1. Chronic diarrhea due to spleen-kidney deficiency. (Use bran stir-fried Qian shi.)
– 2. Urinary incontinence, enuresis, frequent micturition, and nocturia due to kidney Qi deficiency.
– 3. Chronic white vaginal discharge due to spleen-kidney deficiency.
– 4. Seminal emission and premature ejaculation due to kidney Qi not securing.