Nature: sweet, cold
Enters: Lung, Stomach, Large Intestine
Actions: Moistens the Lungs and large intestine; promotes bowel movement; promotes healing of sores; clears phlegm-heat; expands the chest.
• Large intestine dryness: constipation – especially when accompanied by Lung heat with dry mouth, thirst, and irritability.
• Lung heat/phlegm-heat: cough with thick, sticky, difficult-to-expectorate sputum, chest pain.
• Accumulation of phlegm in the chest: stifling sensation, pain, diaphragmatic pressure.
• Adjunct herb for breast abscesses, swellings, and for sores that have not yet suppurated.
• Gua lou – the whole fruit – is similar in effect to the seed, but is less effective at lubricating the intestines, transforming phlegm, and dissipating nodules.
• Not to be used with Aconite products.
MLT: Dry constipation associated with thirst.
Hsu: Antibacterial, anti-cancerous – mild inhibitory action on tumors.