Nature: sweet, cold
Enters: Large Intestine, Small Intestine, Bladder
Actions: Promotes lactation, benefits the breasts; moistens the intestines; drains dampness and heat; promotes urination, unblocks painful urinary dysfunction.
• Damp-heat in the lower Jiao: painful, hot, bloody, or stony urination.
• Retention of harmful body fluid: edema.
• Insufficient fluids in the intestines: constipation with dry and hard stool.
• Insufficient lactation, painful swollen breasts, early stages of breast abscess.
• Especially useful for urinary/edema disorders accompanied by constipation.
MLT: Similar to Western Althea/Marshmallow [mainly used for its soothing mucilaginous properties] – for irritated urination from dryness.
• Milder than Hua shi.
• Demulcent; increases richness of mother’s milk.